Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Dear Tottenham...


A letter written by a friend of mine to Daniel Levy, just yesterday.

Levy recently claimed, I believe, that he'd received less than 100 of these type of missives, so hopefully Sean's efforts will have taken the total up to treble figures.

And yes, his name really is Sean Conry. Try not to focus on that...


Daniel Levy
Tottenham Hotspur Football Club
Bill Nicholson Way
748 High Road
Tottenham
London, N17 0AP

8 February 2011

Dear Daniel,

I am writing to you to express my absolute objection to Spurs moving to the
Olympic Stadium.

What stops football just being about 22 people kicking a ball is an
unbending emotional attachment that football fans feel for their club. If
it was just about success or being able to compete in Europe we would all be
Man United fans, but it's not. It's about a sense of history and this is
inextricably linked to a sense of place.

My first match was in 1967 against Everton (we won 2-0) and I know you are a
long time supporter yourself so you will not need reminding but since that
first game we have never won the league nor even finished 2nd. - 3rd
place 5 times has been our best(67, 71, 85, 87 and 90). Despite this I
count myself lucky to have supported the club. I have been fortunate enough
to be at Wembley to witness the FA Cup wins in 1981, 1982 and 1991 and was
also at White Hart Lane for the 1984 UEFA final. I mention all this because
I want to make the point that whilst all supporters would like success it is
not the most important thing. Feeling part of the club, talking about 'We',
having a shared history, feeling a sense of belonging - that's far more
important.

If you take Tottenham to Stratford you are moving the club out of its core
area and into an area where the majority of local support is for West Ham.
The club would not be about 'We' it would be about 'It' and for me at least
'Them'. Moving there would be as wrong as Wimbledon going to Milton Keynes
was; although the distance was a lot further, Milton Keynes had as much
relevance to Wimbledon as Stratford does to Spurs. Just as the rump of
Wimbledon quietly dropped their name following the move, so morally should
Tottenham if this horrible move takes place. I know it was a long time ago
but the principle was understood in Edwardian times when Woolwich Arsenal
moved into Islington they had the good grace to drop the name Woolwich and
just became Arsenal instead.

If you do move I won't be going with you because Tottenham Hotspur will just
be a name you call the football club that play at Stratford. It will have
nothing to do with the club that I have invested with far more emotion and
love than is sensible over the years.

I daresay you are getting a lot of correspondence about this and I think you
probably understand where I am coming from so there is no need for me to
write anymore, but before I go there is one further thing I would like to
mention. I heard you on the television today talking about how most Spurs
fans support the move. Really? Where's your evidence for saying that? I
have no data to the contrary but all Tottenham supporters to whom I have
spoken are adamant that the club should stay in Tottenham.

Please do not move the club to Stratford, it is just plain wrong. And,
what's more, as a Spurs fan yourself I am sure that you know that as well.

Yours sincerely

Sean Conry

No comments:

Post a Comment